The DRAMA Builds....

 

a few of the blood cards
submitted to Neogen for 
DNA analysis. 
The DNA tests have been submitted to the labs at Neogen.  Now, all we can do is wait.


Each day, I look at each of the lambs.  Not a causual glance either.... more like a stalker... trying to make my best guess as to who the father may be of whom. (and I'm really hoping I used the word, whom, correctly there)


It is no chore to stare at these beautiful lambs.  Spots, blotches, whites,      grey-blues, blacks... each lamb so beautiful and unique.  


But all the while I'm enjoying their vibrant personalities and coats, I'm thinking... are  you a babydoll or are you a lambradoodle(tm).

Firstly, as babydoll, that sea of spots means incredible color breeding success!  Piebald (spotted) babydolls are very rare.  I worked with breeding sheep for nine years before I helped my first piebald babydoll lamb into the world.  They are lovely sheep and very sought after.  Even over-seas buyers are vying for them.

valais blacknose sheep
But what if Ozwald is the father?  What if all those beautiful coats are from combining the spotted babydoll genetics with the piebald genetics of the Valais blacknose

Just as in most piebald colored animals, patterns take hold and can become predictable.  If Ozwald is the sire then these lambs are Lambradoodles!  A combination of small size, beautiful coats and very friendly personalities. 

So either way, I each of these lambs is so precious to me and I am having so much fun guessing who is who's.  


Babydoll mom, Bijou and newly born BeeJz 
This little ram lamb is out of the second spotted babydoll ever born on our farm.   His mother, Bijou is so petite and her baby, BeeJz is staying very small.  
BeeJz had a pretty hard start as he was born very early on one of the coldest mornings we had this winter.  When he was found with his mother, he was huddled tightly and almost frozen!  We wisked him away into the house and using a make shift heat tent, blowdryer and heating pad, slowly got his temperature back up.  He went from limp and almost lifeless to sitting straight up and nuzzling for milk in about two hours.  
After that we took him back to Bijou and he knew just what to do.  From that moment on Bijou took care of everything.  
I have my eye on him as he is very smart and outgoing and I am curious that he might get that from Ozwald or if his extra handling as a newborn just made him more ..... I don't know... just more.


Yennefer and mom, Baaabette
Definately NOT a babydoll, Yennefer is a gorgeous little princess.  Her mother is an F1 harlequin:  Harlequin sire and babydoll dam.  So even if Herman is the sire of Yennefer, mother Baaabette's harequin blood excludes her being registered as a babydoll.  BUT.... even still, she is A) gorgeous and B) able to be be then bred to Ozwald for a stunning lambradoodle(tm) when she is old enough to breed next year.




Looking at Yenn's coat... I can't even begin to make a guess... except to say her fleece has lots of extra curl... and that is valais!

One thing is certain, this is turning out to be one of the most interesting and exciting lambing seasons I have ever experienced.

Lambradoodles(tm) Low Level Harlequin/Babydolls and Spotted Babydolls.... fun, fun FUN!!!!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introducing the lambradoodle (tm) sheep: miniature, curly coated, friendly, weed gobbling floofs!

Lambradoodles: The Birth of a NEW BREED